If you’re considering closing your Chime account then you are bound to have questions about the process, and there are some steps to take to ensure a trouble-free experience.
Let’s answer 9 commonly asked questions relating to closing your Chime account to help understand the process and if this is the right choice for you.
How to Close Your Chime Account (Step-By-Step):
Here are 5 steps both Apple and Android users can use to close their Chime accounts:
- Make sure your balance is at 0, transfer any remaining balance to a linked account via ACH transfer, or check sent to your mailing address
- Unlink any bank accounts associated with your Chime account
- Check your payment history to make sure there are no pending payments due
- Clear any negative balance from the account
- Make sure you are not due any refunds or payments in your account
After these steps have been completed, email Chime’s customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for permanent deletion of the account.
For Apple Users Only
If you’re using an Apple device and have the Chime App version 5.109 or higher, then you can cancel your account through the following steps:
- Navigate to the home screen and on the top left press the gear icon (settings)
- You will see an option for personal info and to the right of this press edit
- At the bottom of the screen, you will see an option to close your account
- On the field provided, you can enter a message that you would like to close your Chime account, and also input the last 4 digits of your social security number to verify your identity. You can also upload any supporting images. Then at the bottom of the screen tap on submit request
- Your request has been submitted, and at the bottom of the screen you can click the Got it button to complete the process
How Long Does it Take to Close a Chime Account?
Typically, after you have requested the closing of the account, it should take 5 business days for the process to be completed. For this to be concluded it’s important to make sure your mailing address in the Chime App is correct, as it won’t work otherwise.
Are There Any Fees When You Close Your Chime Account?
Currently, there are currently no fees when closing a Chime account. However, this doesn’t factor in any outstanding payments and negative balances, which you will need to clear before being able to close the account.
Can You Reopen Your Closed Chime Account?
If you have requested your Chime account to be closed and the process has been completed, it’s not currently possible to reopen the account or reactivate any Chime cards associated with the account.
However, if you didn’t request account closure and a recent issue has affected access to your account, then it might be possible to unlock and restore it. To enquire further about this you can call Chime and contact customer support at Phone: 844-244-6363 or Email: email@example.com.
Can You Close Your Chime Account And Open a New Chime Account?
Yes, it’s possible to close your Chime account and open a new one in your name. However, it can be a lengthy process, as from the date of closing your old account, by law, you will have to wait 90 days before your credentials are valid and are able to create a new account.
How to Close Your Chime Savings Account:
For closure of your Chime Savings account, you can contact a member of their service team by calling 1-844-244-6363. After your Savings account has been closed all remaining funds will be automatically transferred into your Chime Checking account.
There are currently no fees associated with closing your Chime savings account.
How to Close Your Chime Credit Builder Card:
You can close your Chime Credit Builder Card/Account by either using the Chime App or contacting Chime Member Services, although beforehand there are a number of requirements to tend to as outlined at the top of the page.
How to Close Your Chime Debit Card:
Similar to the above, after you have everything in order you can close your Chime Debit Card/Account by using the Chime App or contacting Chime’s customer support.
What Should You Consider Before Closing Your Chime Account?
Here are some things to take into consideration before going ahead and closing your Chime account:
- Given the standard 90-day wait from closing your Chime account to being eligible to open a new one, think carefully before closing the account
- Chime is one of the most effective ways of building your credit score, influencing a controlled approach to spending, with no annual fees, interest rates, or debt involved
- With Chime, you have access to 60,000+ fee-free ATMs nationwide
- Chime’s SpotMe service enables you to overdraw your account by up to $200 on debit card purchases, which are also fee-free.
- Chime allows quick, easy, and fee-free sending of money to friends and family (up to $2,000 monthly)